A landlord has the duty to:
1. Put and keep the premises in a fit and habitable condition.
2. Keep the common areas safe and sanitary.
3. Comply with building, housing, health, and safety codes.
4. Keep in good working order all electrical, plumb-ing, heating, and ventilation systems and fixtures.
5. Maintain all appliances and equipment supplied or required to be supplied by the landlord.
6. Provide running water and reasonable amounts of hot water and heat, unless the hot water and heat are supplied by an installation that is under the exclusive control of the tenant and supplied by a direct public utility hook-up.
7. Provide garbage cans and arrange for trash removal if the landlord owns four or more residential units in the same building.
8. Give at least 24 hours notice, unless it is an emergency, before entering a tenant's unit, and enter only at reasonable times and in a reasonable manner.
9. Evict the tenant when informed by a law enforcement officer of drug activity by the tenant, a member of the tenant's household, or a guest of the tenant occurring in or otherwise connected with the tenant's premises.
A tenant has the duty to:
1. Keep the premises safe and sanitary.
2. Dispose of rubbish in the proper manner.
3. Keep the plumbing fixtures as clean as their condition permits.
4. Use electrical and plumbing fixtures properly.
5. Comply with housing, health, and safety codes that apply to tenants.
6. Refrain from damaging the premises and keep guests from causing damage.
7. Maintain appliances supplied by the landlord in good working order.
8. Conduct yourself in a manner that does not disturb any neighbors and require guests to do the same.
9. Permit landlord to enter the dwelling unit if the request is reasonable and proper notice is given.
10. Comply with state or municipal drug laws in connection with the premises and require house-hold members and guests to do likewise.
The information provided should be used only as a resource and not substituted as legal advice.
You are welcome and encouraged to bookmark or print out this resource for future reference.
Compiled from these sources
Cleveland Tenants Organization
30 Superior Avenue
Cleveland, OH 44115
Off Campus Student Services
342 Ohio Union
1739 N. High Street
Columbus, OH 43210
The Center for Student Advocacy
8 North Court Street, Suite 413
Athens, Ohio 45701
Fax: (740) 592-1495